Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Take That, Grandma.

Today at lunch I raced an old woman in to Subway.

We started out on opposite ends of the parking lot. At first I didn't notice her (or her daughter) but picked up the pace as soon as I did. She picked up her pace. I walked faster still, trying to act like I wasn't racing her.

Finally, I rounded the corner and touched the door handle first. Winner! Instead of holding the door for the old lady (her daughter was probably 45 so you do the math) and letting them walk in front of me (like a person who actually has a heart might do), I walked in and held the door for them behind me. There was no way I was letting two people get in front of me.

Standing in line, feeling triumphant, I replayed in my mind all that had just transpired. I thought to myself, What kind of person tries to beat an old lady to the Subway line!? I'm sure you are thinking the same thing.

In my defense--The kind of person who has a meeting at 1:00 p.m. The kind of person that eats at a particular Subway regularly and knows how long it takes to get through the line. The kind of person who left 15 minutes early for lunch to beat that line.

And apparently the kind of person who has a cold, cold heart.

6 comments:

NatAttack said...

AHhhhh! I LOVE IT. I can imagine the entire thing perfectly. Must be a Turkey Wednesday!

I, of course, also went to Subway today. The local middle school must have had an early out because it was KID CENTRAL. You know how much I love bratty kids; it almost ruined the experience! I'm used to having the Subway by my work to myself.

This post made my day!

Annie said...

I can just hear the conversation you were having with yourself about the old lady and her daughter. I don' think it means you have a cold heart, you were using your time management skills:)

stephanielynn said...

It was Turkey Wednesday! I don't recommend double meat...it kind of made me gag.

The whole thing was ridiculous! I actually laughed out loud about it when I got to my car:)

NatAttack said...

Did you park in my spot?

stephanielynn said...

I didn't, but I would've beat her for sure if I had!

I had to park along the back fence in the parallel parking spots. There were big trucks taking up multiple spaces--kind of a mess.

Turkey Wednesday's aren't the same without you:)

Carlee said...

I think I almost just peed a little. I can just see the slow-motion jog with some sort of Olympic music in the background, the old lady taking a swing at you with her purse, you ducking and lunging toward the door. . .ok, so I have an active imagination. It's still funny.