Tuesday, July 02, 2013

when disaster strikes.

We had an emergency preparedness lesson on Sunday.

Here are some things I learned:
  • I'm completely unprepared for any sort of disaster. Unless a head lamp and blanket will keep me alive.
  • Seattle has the possibility of being hit by an array of natural disasters: volcanic eruption, earthquake and/or tsunami
  • A major earthquake is not an if, but a when. It will happen. (Did I mention a geologist was teaching us all about this? Legit.)
  • If there's an earthquake, my old office (and maybe my new office) will sink right into the water.
  • If the earthquake is strong enough, it could cause a tsunami and then my new office will definitely be a goner
In a nutshell, I did not leave the meeting comforted by all of the great things I can add to my 72 hour kit, but in panic about how I'm going to die in a natural disaster. (Okay, not really.) (But sort of.)

I was telling my roommate about all I had learned that day and an hour later I got a message that said, "I just had a mental image of you sitting at your desk wearing a life jacket because you're worried about a tsunami".

Funny.
And totally genius.

From now on, this is going to be me.


No comments: