Monday, November 28, 2011

feeling festive.

Thanksgiving happened.
And before you think this post will be full of photos of turkeys and rolls and pies, let me tell you right now that is not the case. In fact, I did not take a single picture of the day.
I struggled with Thanksgiving this year. Not the part about being thankful, I'm totally into gratitude, but just the holiday part. A large part of me wanted to spend the day alone. Weird? Probably.
In the end I knew mid-day would roll around and I'd be wishing I was eating carbs somewhere, so I made fruit salad, rolls and pie and joined a gathering of people. The right decision? Probably.

But here's the thing, while I wasn't feeling Thanksgiving this year, I'm totally digging Christmas.
The Christmas spirit has already rooted itself in my heart, which is due in large part to Jenny and I spending the weekend getting the house all festive for our upcoming holiday party.

A few weekends ago we hit up Hobby Lobby for Christmas decorations. Did you know every other weekend it's 50% off? I didn't either, but it's pretty amazing. And it's a good thing we went early because it's all picked over now. We decided on Peacock Blue and Copper as our colors.
You can't tell from the photo, but it's totally adorable.

On Saturday Jenny ventured out and chopped us down a tree.
 Setting up a tree is a PROCESS but thanks to the internets, Jenny had it all planned out.
 A Noble Fir. Sounds fancy.
And it's 10 years old, which makes me just want to give it a hug.
A trip to Target and some overspending later, it was finished. It's delightful. I just want to turn out all the lights and stare at it while listening to Bing Crosby and Johnny Mathis.
We also decorated the mantle with real garland (a first for me), made wreaths and watched White Christmas. It all looks much better in non-iPhone photo life.
And topping it all off, Jenny cut out lyrics to Christmas songs and we strung them around the dining room.

Trust me, it's awesome.

It's cool, December. You can come anytime. We're ready for you.

5 comments:

Jenny N said...

um, sweet picture of me on my hands and knees ;)

stephanielynn said...

nbd. you were doing work!

Sarah said...

very cool lyric. . .garland? whatever you call it, I like!

Kitty said...

Looks beautiful!! Makes our little tree look like it came from Charlie Brown's Christmas but we are enjoying it too :) Christmas is a wonderful time of the year!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the lyrics idea! i will need to copy that one year. :)