Sunday, January 27, 2013

out with the old, in with the new.

So, 2013 is here. That's fun, right?

Personally, I was happy to kick 2012 to the curb. I mean, I rang in the New Year on my couch, watching Sleepless in Seattle, alone, while battling the last of the flu I had been suffering through for six days.

That night pretty much summed up all of my 2012. Looking back, I have deemed 2012 the Year of Survival.

It was a hard year. Some days it felt like just surviving was the best I could hope for or accomplish. A year filled with a lot of emotions, ruts (of many different varieties), lots of hours at work, spiritual crises and changing dynamics of dear-to-my-heart friendships.

But there were a lot of good things too. A promotion at work, travels abroad, a once in a lifetime experience at the Olympics, spiritual progression and, because of the aforementioned changed dynamics of previously important friendships, I sought out and developed new relationships that have been fulfilling in different ways.

When all is said and done I think I came out on top of 2012, but I definitely hope 2013 is a step up.

With the new year comes a lot of talk about resolutions and goals. I had a hard time pinning down how I wanted to approach resolutions this year. Or if I even wanted to approach them. It's been something I've been mulling over for most of January.

The other night, as I was reflecting on my day, I asked myself "Were you your best self today?" That question had a pretty significant impact and I decided then that it would be my theme for 2013.

Be Your Best Self.

Whatever changes are necessary for me to be able to answer affirmatively to the question "Were you your best self today?" are the things I will work on.

Cheers to a new year and a fresh start! So far 2013 is leaps and bounds above her predecessor.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Glad to see a new post from you Steph. I have missed your musings,adventures, and meaningful insights. Let's hope for 2013 :)

Yo said...

I've missed you Steph! Glad you are back and showing 2013 your best self! I hope this year brings you everything that you're hoping for!

Kitty said...

I've missed you too! I was pleasingly surprised to see your post. I'm in total agreement with Annie and Jenny.